Internet connectivity issues in Google Chrome and other browsers too are becoming common these days. Even when the users have not set up any proxy or have not configured manual proxy settings, the internet will suddenly break down and chrome will show that there is no internet connection with the error message “There is something wrong with your proxy server or the address is incorrect“. Unless you are addicted to the Dinosaur Dash game, which you can play when the Google Chrome Browser is offline, this is not a pleasing sign at all!
What to do then? We can start by looking at what might have caused the problem. It might be your new antivirus software or internet firewall, or badly behaving web browser extensions or plugins. Or, your device might be affected by one of the malware or virus infected programs you just installed.
Fix There is no internet connection, something went wrong with the proxy server
In this article, we have listed the cause & fixes to the “There is no internet connection” error as well as web browser-related settings that you can use to fix the issue yourselves. Depending on the signs like which applications are affected by this error and if the effect is system-wide, you can rule down some of these methods to save time.
Method 1: Disable Proxy
VPN programs can cause incorrect configurations and change these settings. Here’s what you need to do to restore the automatic proxy settings:
1. Open the control panel. Type Control Panel in the Windows Search which can be accessed pressing Windows Key + S combination. Click and open the Control Panel app from the search results.
2. In the control panel, go to Network & Sharing center.
3. Click on the Internet Options from the bottom left corner of the Control Panel Window.
4. Go to the tab labeled Connections, then click on the button labeled LAN Settings.
5. Check the box next to Automatically Detect Settings and uncheck other boxes. Click on the OK button and then close all the open windows.
6. Reboot your PC and see if you’re able to fix There is no internet connection error.
If you still experience problems, follow steps 1 through 7 to see if the settings have changed back to what they were before. If they switch back on their own, you may have an application installed or running that changes them. In this case, here are some options.
start your PC into safe mode then navigate to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Now uninstall any third-party app which you found suspicious or you have recently installed. Next, again change the proxy settings by following the above method and restart your PC normally.
Method 2: Disable Proxy Settings via Registry
If you’re unable to disable proxy using the above method then you can uncheck proxy via Registry Editor using the below steps:
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Now in the right window pane right-click on ProxyEnable DWORD and select Delete.
4. Similarly also delete the following keys ProxyServer, Migrate Proxy, and Proxy Override.
5. Reboot your PC normally to save changes and see if you are able to fix something went wrong with the proxy server error.
Method 3: Disable VPN/Antivirus Program
type of VPN you are currently using. Some VPNs are installed on their PC using an installer whereas others are browser-based plugins.
turn off the firewall . You may also uninstall the antivirus program altogether if you find it tricky to configure. Being on Windows 10, Windows Defender Security measures are always there even though there is no antivirus program installed.
1. Right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and select Disable.
2. Next, select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible for example 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
3. Once done, again try to connect to the WiFi network and check if you’re able to fix there is no internet connection, something went wrong with the proxy server error.
Most of the VPN programs have an icon in the system tray (while they are running), just click on its icon and turn off the VPN. If there is a browser plugin for VPN active, you can go to the browser’s addon page and uninstall it.
How to Fix The proxy server isn’t responding
If this does not solve your problem of not being able to access the internet because of some proxy misconfiguration, then continue with the next method.
Method 4: Reset Google Chrome to Default
If the problem exists only in the Google Chrome Browser and on another browser such as Mozilla Firefox you’re able to access the internet, then the issue is with Chrome. Firefox may still be able to connect to the internet even in case of system-wide wrong proxy settings because it can override the proxy settings. So make sure Microsft Edge/Internet Explorer or any other web browsers work fine, and then only reset Google Chrome to fix the issue.
1. Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots in the top right corner, then select the Settings option.
2. Click on the Advanced Settings option in the left navigation pane. In the list that collapses, choose the option labeled Reset & Clean-Up. Then select the option Restore settings to their original defaults.
3. In the pop-up box that appears, select Reset settings to clear all the saved cookies, cache data, and other temporary files.
Method 5: Re-install Google Chrome
If the above method doesn’t work for you and the issue still persists on the Chrome Browser, then there is only one thing left to try. You have to uninstall Google Chrome and reinstall it again.
1. Open the Settings app in Windows 10. Use the Windows Key+S key combination shortcut to do so quickly. Go to Apps.
2. Scroll down the list of applications and features to find Google Chrome. Click on the Uninstall button at the right-hand side of the application name then again click on the Uninstall button in the popup box when prompted.
google.com/chrome and click on the Download Chrome button to download the latest version of Chrome Installer.
4. Run the downloaded installer. It will download the necessary files and install chrome on your machine.
10 Ways To Fix Slow Page Loading In Google Chrome
Method 6: Perform System Restore
If you’re still facing the “There is no internet connection” error then the final recommendation would be restoring your PC to an earlier working configuration. Using System Restore you can revert all your current configuration of the system to an earlier time when the system was working correctly. However, you need to make sure that you have at least one system restore point otherwise you cannot restore your device. Now if you have a restore point then it will bring your system to the previous working condition without affecting your stored data.
1. Type control in Windows Search then click on the “Control Panel” shortcut from the search result.
2. Switch the ‘View by’ mode to ‘Small icons’.
3. Click on ‘Recovery’.
4. Click on ‘Open System Restore’ to undo recent system changes. Follow all the steps needed.
5. Now from the Restore system files and settings window click on Next.
6. Select the restore point and make sure this restore point is created before you were facing “There is no internet connection, something went wrong with the proxy server” issue.
7. If you can’t find old restore points then checkmark “Show more restore points” and then select the restore point.
8. Click Next and then review all the settings you configured.
9. Finally, click Finish to start the restore process.
Method 7: Reset Network Configuration
methods listed here .
2. Now type the following command and press Enter after each one:
3. Again open Admin Command Prompt and type the following and hit enter after each one:
4. Reboot to apply changes. Flushing DNS seems to fix There is no internet connection error.
Method 8: Reset Windows 10
If any of these fixes did not work for you, or if the problem is not limited to Google Chrome and you can’t fix it, you can try resetting your PC.
create a backup of everything before resetting your PC.
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security.
2. In the left navigation pane, choose Recovery and then click on Get Started button under the Reset this PC section.
3. Select the option to Keep my files.
4. For the next step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so ensure you have it ready.
5. Now, select your version of Windows and click on only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files.
6. Click on the Reset button.
7. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the reset.
8. Once you complete the resetting process, try connecting to the internet again.
How to Reset Your Password in Windows 10
“There is no internet connection” error because of some wrong configuration of proxy is not suitable for anyone. It kills the purpose of having a device with everything but no internet connection. As we have discussed, the error shown on Google Chrome about being unable to connect to the internet because of some incorrect proxy settings is just the Google Chrome internal settings error, or it may be system-wide.
remove malware from Windows 10 and if that didn’t work then try to reset the system itself.
Plugins that contain malware or too many advertisements can be a sign of such a threat. So make sure you install plugins that were developed by some renowned developer and always check the user ratings before installing any application or a browser plugin.